Wednesday, January 24, 2007

a PoInT tO pOnDeR uPoN...

I was buying my lunch last Saturday at a Muslim nasi lemak stall… (yes bao bei, M-u-s-l-i-m store…) Below was a shocking conversation I heard from the guy next to me…

Boy: (Pointing to a dish of chicken drumstick curry) Auntie, this chicken got bones not?

Auntie: Huhh?? (looking bewildered) Of coz got bones lah… (Mocking at him at the same time)

I turned around, kay-po to know who had to ask this wonderful question… The guy was wearing his school uniform, a blue t-shirt with his school’s name spread across his back…He was a JC student from the infamous school that produces the highest pregnancy rate…

Oh my gosh… this boy is either blind enough not to see that the chicken drumstick does, indeed, have the drumstick bone, or dunno how to eat his chicken if it’s not de-boned… If he feels that chicken curry should have chicken parts without bones, I will recommend him another dish instead… Chicken nugget curry……

This led me to think that, is today’s young too spoon-fed that all meat (chicken or fish) have to be de-boned before they know how to eat, or, they simply do not think before they open their mouth to speak?

While we’re in a rat race to be in the top school and to bring home a comfortable piece of bread and butter, we should probably take a backseat, and polish up on our own basic home-economics skills… Household chores like cooking and washing has become a dying ‘trade/knowledge’ among the youths as we are being too well-taken care of… It’s time we take more ownership of our own basic ‘survival’ skills, to be more independent… Of which, I’m also partly guilty for that… =)

Cheers!! May you have a Happy Chicken Curry Day!! (That’s if you understand my joke…) =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin Chang said...

I do not get what you mean leh...

3:23 PM  
Blogger DaMiEn said...

You mean the 'Happy Chicken Curry Day' thingy?

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home